Course now full
Working with Hot Mixed Mortars – Current thinking and best practice. -
One-day seminar - 16th February 2018 | £85.00 per person
Please contact us directly if you would like to be put on a the waiting list of any places become available.
Location: The Natural Building Centre Ltd, Llanrwst, Conwy. LL26 0PU
A fantastic opportunity to hear three of the leading experts speak about traditional hot-mixed mortars, with plenty of time for questions and discussion, and practical sessions in the afternoon. Suitable for those who have a keen interest in specifying and using the most appropriate building limes, for the repair of traditional buildings.
Some key questions answered...
- How to mix safely.
- Different pozzolanic additives.
- Why are NHL’s less breathable?
- Should hot mixes be used hot?
- How to mix in bulk.
- Shrinkage and aftercare.
- Health and safety.
- Comparisons with NHL and premixed mortars.
- Mix ratios.
- Performance and durability.
Morning session – 9.30 – 12.30
- Nigel Copsey, Conservator and Stonemason – Old Texts, Traditional Mortars, Modern Practice.
- David Wiggins, Structural Engineer, Curtins - The Functional Behavior of Traditional Lime Mortar.
- Alison Henry, Senior Architectural Conservator, Historic England - Lime mortars: Current Perspectives
Afternoon Session 1.30 – 5.00pm
Practical demonstrations showing different methods of mixing hot lime mortars, plasters and limewashes, with the opportunity to have a go at applying different mixes.